You are hereSailing Program
Camp Emerald Bay’s sailing program is offered every week over a 10 week period during the summer. Camp EB’s fleet of small sail boats consists of: 5 Catalina 14.2’s and 5 RS Quests (2 with spinnakers) and a single keel boat, a Beneateau First 22 (ASA training keel boat). The sailing program is supported by a 17 foot Boston Whaler and a 14 foot RIB. The typical summer sailing program involves approximately 20 – 40 campers/week learning how to sail and start a life-long love of sailing. Along the way, the scouts can also have the opportunity to pass the BSA Sailing Merit Badge qualifications as well (similar to that of USSailing Level 1). The sailing instructor positions typically teach beginning sailing to campers and coach more experienced or advanced students during free sail in the afternoon. Instructors must be comfortable working with a variety of students, having varying degrees of experience and skill on the water. Instructors must be open to working with beginner, intermediate, advanced and adult sailors. Instructors must be capable of teaching all aspects of small boat sailing, ‘rules of the road’, and racing and enthusiastically fuel the passion of sailing to the junior sailors! Sailing Instructors are also responsible for general upkeep, maintenance, and tidiness of club-owned boats in collaboration with the Harbor Master.
Camp EB is looking for someone that has both a strong background in sailing and background in instructing. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with young sailors, parents/adults, and teach and manage other instructors to promote a strong team environment within our staff. Camp EB promotes core values emphasizing on developing both sailing skills and developing sailors with great attitudes who are fun to be around. Thus, our Instructors are empowered and expected to bring their own style of coaching to be strong role models and highly effective teachers.
Sailing Director Responsibilities Include:
• Establishing and managing a fundamental sailing skills program for summer camp
• promoting safe boating practices at all times
• fostering team building and sportsmanship on and off the water
• oversight of the lesson planning and execution by self and assigned sailing instructors
• training other staff sailing instructors, including on-the-water training (i.e. spinnaker sets, keel boat sailing, etc).
Director of Sailing Program Job Requirements:
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Strong background and experience in sailing, especially if applying for Race Coach positions (i.e. Collegiate small boat sailing program)
• Previous experiences in instructing/coaching sailing and a commitment to teaching is preferred
• Must hold US Sailing Level 1, or 2, or 3 certification or International equivalent
• Must hold current CPR/First Aid certifications
Period of Employment is May 27, 2017 through August 13, 2017 and includes:
• one week of orientation and training
• 10 weeks of sailing program management / instruction /boat maintenance
• Housing provided by CEB
• Food provided by CEB
• Competitive pay commensurate with experience
About Camp Emerald Bay Sailing Environment:
Camp Emerald Bay, located on the undeveloped West End of Catalina Island, is a prestigious youth summer camp managed by West Los Angeles BSA on Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles, CA. The secluded beaches and coves that surround us boast world-renowned snorkeling and diving, frequently counted among the top ten destinations in the world. The many coves and bay’s offer a unique opportunity to sail either within the confines of a secluded bay or head out into open water healed over at full clip.
• Proper care and handling of all motorboats and sailboats
• Ability to work as a member of a team
• Maintaining a safe and fun environment
• All other activities associated with teaching sailing
We are open to hiring international sailors and will provide housing, however, you must be able to pay for your travel VISA
Please submit cover letter and resume to Jill Erlandson, Camp Emerald Bay Business Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.